Little Green Street, off Highgate Road in Kentish Town, is one of a handful of Georgian streets in London that remain intact. Most of the dozen houses, built in the 1780s, are Grade II listed. They survived the Blitz and, perhaps more impressively, over two centuries of children raised in this narrow cobbled terrace.
Some of the two-storey houses are bow fronted. Formerly shops, they sold ribbons and coffee (luxury products at the time) and are a reminder of our Georgian past. These are rare treasures, because much of Kentish Town’s history, including the now underground River Fleet, was swallowed up by the industrial revolution.
Highgate Road also has a rich past. Until the mid 19th century it was known as Green Street as it led past Kentish Town’s village green. Since 1700 it has provided fast access into London for commuters and shoppers alike and, before that, it was an ancient track that had long provided country traders with access to the Capital’s riches.